1. I believe a profitable opportunity exists in the metal straw industry and I would be adequately prepared to take advantage of this opportunity while in school.
2. The most prevalent unmet need I see in everyday life around Gainesville is the need for metal straws to replace the paper straws restaurants are required to use. Nearly every person that drinks using a straw in Gainesville is a potential client to a firm that sells metal straws because of how annoying the issue has proven to be to so many people. The issue came about when Alachua county passed a statute banning plastic straws in an effort to combat climate change. Most people looking to fill this unmet need have either resorted to buying them online or are left helpless, destined to a fate of drinking their beverage through a paper straw and merely complain about it. I am roughly 90% sure this opportunity exists and would be profitable to some extent.
3. 3 A. The prototypical consumer is anyone in Gainesville who uses paper straws
B. Another consumer would be any person who has yet to purchase a metal straw, as this need may be realized when they have the opportunity to buy a metal straw.
C. Environmental activists looking to do their part in saving the planet is another example of a prototypical consumer.
4. What is the exact nature of the need?
Interview 1 (Joseph Colarusso): I believe the use of metal straws takes care of both my distaste for paper straws as well as my desire to help the environment anyway I can.
Interview 2 (Josh Bobet): The nature of a metal straw need is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things but can be useful for making a statement about the importance of protecting the planet and maybe even a quick profit if done correctly.
Interview 3 (Harrison White): I think there is a need for a metal straw and to be honest if I was presented one in person for a cheap price I would buy it. However i’m not going to waste my time buying one online.
When did you become aware of the need?
Interview 1: I became aware of the need for metal straws immediately after last fall semester started. I ordered an iced coffee that came with a paper straw and knew very quickly I would need to find an alternative.
Interview 2: I first noticed I needed a metal straw when you asked me if it was a good idea. But now that the option is in front of me I do realize the potential in the idea
Interview 3: I first realized the need for a metal straw when places started giving out paper straws. They are very bad to drink with and this is a need that occurs nearly everyday, at least five times a week for me.
How long have you had the need/What are you doing to address it?
1: I have had the need for a metal straw since about a week after Alachua passed the statute banning plastic ones. Not doing much to address it though
2: My need for metal straws is relatively new but I’m fed up with paper straws and am looking for a solution. I have yet to find a solution and am just dealing with it right now.
3: I haven’t made headway in solving the problem but I’ve had the need for a while now.
5. I learned my opportunity has a market and many consumers are looking for a solution to paper straws as I had anticipated. The most surprising thing I learned from these interviews was how little people are doing to solve the problem for themselves.
7. The opportunity I formed at the beginning of this exercise has remained relatively unchanged throughout this process. I believe I have gained insight into the way a prototypical consumer thinks in this market and can more effectively address their needs. I believe customer feedback is very important in developing an item already on the market but the best way to turn a profit is to get your product out and figure the rest out later.
I agree with your point that metal straws should be more common place in restaurants and beverage chains. Paper straws are difficult to say the least. When drinking a beverage using a paper straw, the straw tends to disintegrate throughout drinking. Despite this, metal straws are not disposable, and no one would like to carry a metal straw around on the off chance they decide to stop a beverage chain.
ReplyDelete